The Waverly Department of Public Safety-Police and Fire accepts applications on an on-going basis for the position of Public Safety Officer (Police Officer). The Department of Public Safety is a 24 hour full service Police and Fire Department. Because of the unique mission of the department, Public Safety Officers are required to perform both law enforcement and firefighting duties. All Public Safety Officers are required to complete the Basic Police Academy and Basic Fire Academy. Public Safety Officers are required to work shift work and are on call 24/7.
The application process includes a physical ability test, written police entry exam, oral interview panel and extensive background check. Successful candidates will undergo drug screening, physical and psychological exams. Details of the process will be provided to applicants.
Minimum Requirements include:
Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be a high school graduate or possess equivalence;
- Have a valid TN driver’s license;
- Not have been convicted of or pleaded guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge or to any violation of any federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor and other alcoholic beverages or controlled substances;
- Not have been released or discharged under any other than honorable discharge from any of the armed forces of the United States;
- Have good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation
Application packets can be picked up at the Waverly Police Department or downloaded at the bottom of this page.
Announcements of available/open positions will be made on the department website.
Submit application packet, cover letter and resume via mail or in person to:
Chief of Public Safety
103 East Main St.
Waverly, TN 37185
Questions concerning the application process, compensation and benefits package may be addressed to Chief Grant Gillespie at 931-296-4300.
The City of Waverly is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is a drug-free workplace.